Jersey Shore Criminal Defense Lawyer
A lifelong resident of Ocean County, Carmine R. Villani is one of the founding partners of Villani & DeLuca, P.C. Mr. Villani’s practice emphasizes criminal defense in the municipal and superior courts of Ocean and Monmouth counties.
Criminal defense has formed the primary focus of Mr. Villani’s practice since Villani & DeLuca opened its doors in 1996. Throughout his career, he has served as a municipal prosecutor and public defender for various communities in Ocean and Monmouth counties. His familiarity with the local courts, prosecutors and law enforcement agencies over twenty-plus years represents a powerful advantage for his clients: Mr. Villani’s advice not only reflects his thorough understanding of the law, but also gives each client a solid practical sense of how his or her case is likely to work out.
Many cases in New Jersey’s municipal court system turn on a client’s willingness and ability to address the problems that landed the client in trouble to begin with, whether those problems involve alcohol or drug dependency, anger management issues, or other personal difficulties. People who get the help they need while their criminal cases are pending usually achieve better outcomes when their cases are resolved.
Mr. Villani’s experience with the full range of treatment and counseling programs throughout the area helps guide clients to the resources that are best for their individual circumstances. Taking advantage of these resources not only helps to resolve the immediate legal problem, it also helps people stay out of trouble in the future.
Mr. Villani stays current with the latest strategies and trends in criminal defense. For example, in 2016, he took part in the nation’s first DUI defense seminar devoted to cannabis-related impairment. In July 2015, Mr. Villani attended a 3 day seminar on advanced trial practice “Persuading with Professionalism” held at Harvard Law School’s, Austin Hall. In 2014, Mr. Villani taught a DWI defense seminar on issues related to implied consent and breath-test refusal. Mr. Villani has also completed training in drug recognition evaluation, Alcotest breathalyzer operation, and standardized field sobriety testing. This training allows Mr. Villani to identify the mistakes that law enforcement officers or technicians can make in developing the evidence against DWI/DUI suspects.
Education and Bar Admissions
Mr. Villani received his B.A. from Rutgers University in 1989 with a double major in economics and communications. He graduated from New England School of Law in Boston in 1992. That year he won the New England Scholar Award for Academic Achievement. While in law school, Mr. Villani served as a Student Prosecutor at the Massachusetts Office of the District Attorney in Boston. In 1991, he worked as a research assistant to the celebrated criminal trial attorney and Harvard Law School Professor Alan M. Dershowitz.
Licensed to practice in the state and federal courts of New Jersey since 1992, Mr. Villani is also admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Areas of Concentration
• Criminal defense – indictable and disorderly persons offenses
• DWI/DUI defense
• Motor vehicle violations,
• Motor Vehicle Appeals
Founding and Managing Partner, Villani & DeLuca, P.C., November 1996 to present. Concentrated in Criminal Defense, DWI and motor vehicle violations and appeals.
Associate Attorney, McLaughlin Bennett Gelson & Cramer, P.C., January to October 1996. Concentrated in civil litigation, criminal defense, and residential and commercial real estate.
Associate Attorney, Ansell Zaro Bennett & Grimm, P.C., December 1992 to January 1996. Concentrated in civil litigation and real estate transactions.
Adjunct Professor, Brookdale Community College Legal Studies Program, 1993–94.
Municipal Representation and Public Service
• Public defender, Township of Colts Neck, 2000 to 2015
• Conflict public defender, Borough of Bay Head 2014-present
• Conflict public defender, Borough of Point Pleasant Beach,2002-09
• Public defender, Borough of Point Pleasant Beach, 2006-07
• District IIIA Attorney Ethics Committee, 2002-05
• Zoning Board of Adjustment Attorney, Township of Brick, 2002-05
• Special Counsel to Berkeley Township MUA, 2004
• Conflict public defender, Township of Barnegat,1999-2003
• Conflict pool attorney and public defender, Township of Brick,1998-2002
• Municipal prosecutor, Borough of Keansburg, 1999-2000
• Public defender, Borough of Keansburg, 1998-99
• Monmouth County Joint Insurance Fund Attorney
• Acting municipal prosecutor, Township of Colts Neck, 1996
Professional and Civic Memberships
• New Jersey State Bar Association
• Ocean County and Monmouth County Bar Associations
• Ocean County Bar Association Criminal Practice Committee, 2010-present
• Ocean County Bar Association Municipal Court Practice Committee, 2010-present
• American Association for Justice
• National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
• National College for Dui Defense
Contact Carmine R. Villani for a free consultation and let his experience work for you.